Re: Can translate?

if you are interested I can provide you a build with the translation code enabled, and then you can run the game and it will save all texts that need to be translated in a file, in this file you can add the translation for your language

I have all the mission descritions, mails, etc. here. In the sp_pak1.pk3\text\ folder there are two files (strings.txt, pickupnames.txt) in which some stuff is translated. I guess, your build would put exactly this stuff in a text file.

But anyway, maybe there are hardcoded strings in there, so it would help to get your build with translation code enabled.

This is an example from strings.txt:

"Mission gescheitert" (means: Mission failed.)
"Sie haben ein Versteck gefunden" (means: You have found a secret.)

These are from pickupnames.txt:

"Wertgegenstand" (Treasure item)
"Erste Hilfe - klein" (Small health)
"Erste Hilfe - mittel" (Medium health)
"Erste Hilfe - gross" (Large health)

Both files are in the sp_pak1.pk3\text\ folder of the english version of that game too.

Problem is, both files are directly there, not in the language folder. The game was not meant to be multilanguage, even the german mission descriptions and stuff are located in a EnglishUSA folder in the german version. Activision put just the translated files in it. This means, that the source must be changed to have the game multilanguage.

cybdmn wrote:

I have all the mission descritions, mails, etc. here. In the sp_pak1.pk3\text\ folder there are two files (strings.txt, pickupnames.txt) in which some stuff is translated. I guess, your build would put exactly this stuff in a text file.

But anyway, maybe there are hardcoded strings in there, so it would help to get your build with translation code enabled.

This is an example from strings.txt:

"Mission gescheitert" (means: Mission failed.)
"Sie haben ein Versteck gefunden" (means: You have found a secret.)

These are from pickupnames.txt:

"Wertgegenstand" (Treasure item)
"Erste Hilfe - klein" (Small health)
"Erste Hilfe - mittel" (Medium health)
"Erste Hilfe - gross" (Large health)

Both files are in the sp_pak1.pk3\text\ folder of the english version of that game too.

Problem is, both files are directly there, not in the language folder. The game was not meant to be multilanguage, even the german mission descriptions and stuff are located in a EnglishUSA folder in the german version. Activision put just the translated files in it. This means, that the source must be changed to have the game multilanguage.

thats what I've been working on in the past (but never completed) source changes to allow everything be translated

do you know how to compile the source from the svn ? (in that case I can tell you how to enable the translation stuff)

I have complied the source back then, when no binaries where available. ;-)

well if you are on windows you have to add a preprocessor define to the visual studio projects

-DLOCALISATION

(search for -D_ADMINS or -DMONEY)

and then when you run the game with cl_debugTranslation set to 2 it will draw all untranslated texts in red
(a translations.cfg file should appear also in your main folder)

Had no luck with this. compiled the project successfully, but no translation.cfg. :-(

There i one in my original installation of the german version, located in main/scripts, which contains various strings in english, french, german, italian and spanish. I can provide that, i you can use it. Some color code maybe must updated, because this is from the earliest release of the game, no GOTY or Special Edition was released in germany, because the game was put on the Index right after the release.

I made a new folder, and replaced all textfiles with the german ones. Mostly all is shown right when translated. But there is a problem with the "Umlauts" in the UI, there are not shown, instead there is a space. They are shown correctly in all mail and mission descriptions.

Some of the new stuff, like "Airborne Ranger" etc. in the UI is still english, i didn't find their location, but i am unsure, if translate them makes sense.

In the project books the sketches are not translated, i guess these texts are part of the picture, no strings.

cybdmn wrote:

Had no luck with this. compiled the project successfully, but no translation.cfg. :-(

There i one in my original installation of the german version, located in main/scripts, which contains various strings in english, french, german, italian and spanish. I can provide that, i you can use it. Some color code maybe must updated, because this is from the earliest release of the game, no GOTY or Special Edition was released in germany, because the game was put on the Index right after the release.

yes it should be in main/scripts, I mistyped
it will be in the main folder located in the rtcwcoop folder in your documents

cybdmn wrote:

I made a new folder, and replaced all textfiles with the german ones. Mostly all is shown right when translated. But there is a problem with the "Umlauts" in the UI, there are not shown, instead there is a space. They are shown correctly in all mail and mission descriptions.

Some of the new stuff, like "Airborne Ranger" etc. in the UI is still english, i didn't find their location, but i am unsure, if translate them makes sense.

In the project books the sketches are not translated, i guess these texts are part of the picture, no strings.

yes it are probably images sad

After further looking at the stuff, i must admit, that i suggest to realize translations with a pk3 file containing all the stuff, which must be translated.

Maybe with subfolders for each language. This way it can be updated by generating a new pk3 file, when another language can be added.

I can imagine a structure like this:

language.pk3
|_EnglishUSA
|       |_gfx
|       |_scripts
|       |_text
|       |_...
|
|_GermanDE
|       |_gfx
|       |_scripts
|       |_text
|       |_...
|
|_FrenchFR
|       |_gfx
|       |_scripts
|       |_text
|       |_...
|
|_ItalianIT
|       |_gfx
|       |_scripts
|       |_text
|       |_...
|
|_...

the hardcoded strings in the code may still be a trouble

I'm not in favor of new pk3 files, but for gfx I think its the only solution, I need to look at this code again and think about it

Here is a screenshot with the missing "Umlauts" in the GUI. In both cases there should be an ä.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/908/shot0015lg.jpg

fretn wrote:

the hardcoded strings in the code may still be a trouble

No way to circumvent them? I know that many Doom sourceports support a way to use strings from a file, instead of the hardcoded strings in the exe. May it be the dehacked files, or with a mapinfo lump.

fretn wrote:

I'm not in favor of new pk3 files, but for gfx I think its the only solution, I need to look at this code again and think about it

Hmm... why not pk3 files for anything? Would that generate problems?

The sketches are not just pictures, the strings are defined in the file notebook.menu, i try to get it translated and working.

the reason the umlauts don't work is because they probably don't exist in the font used by rtcw

about the hardcoded strings: thats what the scripts/translations.cfg file is for

I have translated the notebook completely. Just the first sketch have the notes as part of the picture.

Post's attachments

map_e1.jpg
map_e1.jpg 43.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

nice work !

I'm confused about the translations.cfg file, did this work for you ?

fretn wrote:

I'm confused about the translations.cfg file, did this work for you ?

That didn't work, as i said, i compiled successfully, set cl_debugTranslation to 2 before join, but nothing happens. :-(

The translations.cfg file i have out of my german version seems to contain multiplayer content only.

I have two files here too, with certain stuff in it, in the the EnglishUSA\text folder within my german sp_pak1.pk3.

There is pickupnames.txt, containing all strings shown, when you pickup weapons, health, ammo, or anything.
The second file, strings.txt, contains all ingame message about failed mission, dynamite timer, and stuff, and the mission statistic strings. This is the file, where the "Umlauts" comes from, not shown. I guess, i will need to exchange the font file for this.

In the gfx/2d folder is exitHint.tga with the german phrase ENDE instead of EXIT.

All menus are located in the ui folder, where i translated the notebook. To translate the other stuff will need some time, as there are many files.

So far we have the notebook translated, translated all mission objectives, all letters to be find ingame, the venom gun project book, and this stuff. And we have the ingame messages and ending statistics translated too, just the font stuff needs to be fixed. An Alternative would be to exchange all Umlauts, change ä to ae, ö to oe and ü to ue, which will work in german.

I just need to know, how this stuff will be used, so i can upload it somewhere, or submit it to the SVN.

Oh, and i have a french version here too, though i have to take a look, if this is translated. If so, i can make a french version too, but it maybe need some tweaks, for i did not speak french, i can just exchange all phrases. ;-)

when I have some time in the next days, i'll look into organising all of this

its been a couple of months since I last touched the localisation code and I forgot how it exactly works

I'll also give you svn access then

ah forgot to mention this, did you set cl_language equal to '2' ?
this is probably the reason why the translations.cfg file wasn't written

Didn't work either, i am not sure, if i set the preprocessor right, i am no programmer. Anyway, at least i have found more or less any textstring from the game anywhere, where i can translate it.

Good news for the french version, i installed it, and guess what, it is translated. :-)

I think in that case that the preprocessor is not set correctly, I'll provide you a build in one of the next days

That would help, thank you.

All translations done in german applies to french too now.

fretn wrote:

well if you are on windows you have to add a preprocessor define to the visual studio projects

-DLOCALISATION

(search for -D_ADMINS or -DMONEY)

and then when you run the game with cl_debugTranslation set to 2 it will draw all untranslated texts in red
(a translations.cfg file should appear also in your main folder)

okay this info is wrong, it applies to linux and mac

for windows you just have to add LOCALISATION to C_ONLY;USE_ICON;WIN32;MONEY;

(don't forget to add a ; between all these values), do it for the debug and release build projects (or at least for the active setting, which is probably debug)

Have done that (can be seen on the screenshot), compiled successfully all five projects, but didn't work.

But as i wrote, i found most files and strings which have to be translated. Problem is, some of them (Main Menu for example) seemingly does not work, when within sp_pak_coop1.pk3, which i use at the moment to test the translations.

Oops, forgot screenshot. :-D

Post's attachments

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG 26.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The plan is to make sure all the translated texts from the menus come into the scripts/translations.cfg so we don't have menu files for each language. This would be a horror to maintain (a small menu file change would result in having to change it for all the languages, this is unworkable)

I've commited a small change which enables the localisation code when you compile, and I've added my own native language (dutch) support, everything still needs to be translated ofcourse, but first the localisation code must be working like it should