1 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-21 08:30:13)

Topic: Catacomb, Tomb & Xlabs gameplay bugs? Here is the fix at the moment!

Hi Bros! After I joined forum and the love of Rtcw, forces me to play this wonderful mod and started some tests by myself. To the addition of earlier bugs, I want to add some little solutions for 3 great maps from the Sp Campaign, which are called as  Catacomb, Tomb & Xlabs. The reason of this article, I found some basic but important solutions for how to open gates and advice some gameplay issues. The solutions are already included in game but some scripts needs some triggers I think. Yes here is the solutions;

Catacomb: In the middle of game, when you fall down from the path, you face to face that the big gate didnt open and 2 warrior dont come. Yes here is the dead end smile Here all of you stuck at this point. This is a critic point that impacts the coop experience. For the solution is, at the very earlier of the game, When you come to the gate door, when it is closed, go through and trigger the event that, one of german soldier is escaping from 2 zombies. It is very nice scene. After you continue the game and you go on to open switches as before. You will see when you fall down from path,  the big gate will open and game continues without any problem.

Tomb: You fell down and collected some magazines, health pack and get out from the church and face to face with boss1 with Helga discussing with a german führer. But something went wrong and Boss is engaging invisible enemies. Never sees you and never attacks you. Right? If you face to face with this problem here you can solve this issue before the start of map. The solution is easy, when map starts and after you get out from building, go through the first corner of buikding and you will hear Helga's loud voice. Wait till the conversation ends until Helga screams and dies. Now you are ready to face to face with Boss1. He will destroy the gate and attacks you with other zombies.

Note: Dont show yourself until the Helgas conversation ends. Otherwise Boss doesnt care of you. smile

Xlabs: The same problem occurs when you start map and you  find the door with electrical fences wont open and you stuck there. The solution is very easy. When the map starts, enter the room at right and wait 1-2 minutes. smile Yes some script timings are false I think and suddenly 2 scientists born in this room and after you can continue to hunting. After you kill this 2 scientists you will see the door will open by 2 german soldiers and the game will continue without any problem.

Note: Dont kill any of soldier at the front door when xlabs map starts. If you kill anybody,  the door wont open. Only enter the room at right at the beginning and wait 1-2 mins maximum.

I hope I help you for this 3 important problems to solve for 0.9.3 release. I hope our kind friends can fix this scripts at next  release and we will continue our coop experience without any problem. Thank you for reading.

Best Regards,

Post's attachments

fix.jpg
fix.jpg 198.63 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-02-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Catacomb, Tomb & Xlabs gameplay bugs? Here is the fix at the moment!

Hey set@mon!

We appreciate your help, thank you. smile The reason xlab bugs at start is that the cinematic script is running on the background first. Hence the wait. I will fix this in the following days, I am working alphaphetically one map at a time (have had too much to fix and too little time).

I already fixed the Catacomb. smile

So many things have been fixed and affected. Soon when we get the 0.9.4 we can start over with the maps. Tons of real script bugs has been fixed. But there has also been happening weird script errors for a reason we discovered recently, so many "mystical" will dissapear too. That was because of player spawning. The next version will be many times more stable and safer for what comes to maps.

3 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-17 16:57:11)

Hi Sage! It is a pleasure for me if I can add any help for this great mod. I am sure you will fix these problems and we are reaching stable 1.0 version in a short time. Also the cinematic of Boss1 is still remaining for me! Can you confirm? Because I read that 0.9.3 bypass the cinematic. Right? But I can solve the problem of Boss1 by waiting 1 minute at the start of map when I hear the voice of Helga and the soldier when they make a discussion. If I engage the boss without waiting, The boss1 engages invisible enemies at the front of dead soldier corpse who is killed by Helga. smile

Also May I learn that what are you thinking about the whole Sp campaign cinematics? Will we see the cinematics in RtcwCoop? For me It is very important. Cinematics are very nice and creates great atmosphere. big_smile

I can confirm you that I have fixed boss1. I have fixed every other map with similar issues aswell. All the major map bugs are fixed that happens in normal conditions. It is possible that I have missed a bug or two that happen in very special conditions or I have simply missed. Every bug that I've noticed, either by playing or reading throught the script or noticed in forum or submitted to me by someone is fixed.

I also have fixed some smaller wierd/bad/bugged bot actions here and there, but this was not the priority at this point. In example bad animations, missing guns etc.

There will not be any camera cinematics in the mod. However all the ingame actions that was not viewed with camera will be there. Such as AI's talking to each other. Like fixing the generator in norway, or fixing the vent leak in dam or disarming the dynamite. In some cases I have restored bits from cam cinematics to go without cam. For example dam will still have that conversation between the trucker and the guard about cheese (until they spot player). And kessler/deathshead will say a few lines. Nothing that will interrupt or stop the players from moving.

5 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-17 20:32:33)

Ahha! I got it! The cinematics are in-game actions. Not individual videos. It is strange and interesting. Only these scenes are viewed by  different camera angles at original campaing ha? Very nice.

But for example; how can we watch the boss1 with Helga scene? The boss1 Helga scene was very nice and if we dont see whats happening it feels us something is missing at there. But is it possible that the boss1 starting scene with Helga can be done until Helga dies. After the boss break the gate and engage us. I mean can we watch this scene without detected by boss and zombies behind the gate until Helga dies? After boss come to break gate. Possible with scripts? Or am I  taking this cinematics too much smile I can live without but always in my mind something was missing if the cinematics are disabled. sad

Also I have just thought that, can we record this scenes from original campaign and integrate as a video file to map levels before start of it? Such as intro movie. Is it possible or very complex? We can record whole game as a video and crop the scenes one by one. What do you think?

Yes indeed, cinematics are exactly the same as ingame actions normally, except instead of being able to play you see it kinda like from spectators view. The intro video is actually pretty much the only real video in the whole game (I cannot remember if ending credits played video or such).

Yes it would be possible. Just the point is that it becomes very boring to wait after couple times. Also it is a lot of work to do. We start the map in the same moment it would start in SP after playing the camera or pressing ESC. I don't think we need videos. smile

7 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-17 21:16:41)

smile Yes some players dont care of the videos but my friend if you want to feel real history of a game, it should be included. For me it is very important and makes me feel good when I play game as cooperative and with cinematics. So my coop partner can learn what is going on in this history. Also it can be possible to bypass scenes with an ESC key as you say. Right. Please take care of this scenes after the bug fix for gameplay. I think you first fix the bugs with gameplay. This is right way. After the cinematics are very important to feel the games exact experience.

Think about the first mission escape cinematic that doctor makes the interrogate to an agent. Hearing the agents screams and doctors frightening sentences with a scaring background music. It is very impressive. This scene is very very good and you can feel the horror of castle from the beginning:) Isnt it?

Yes it is really impressive and cool. But to achieve this, would take us back to the point it all started. I am not the one who is making the decisions or making the code changes. So my role in this conversation is useless now. Also pretty much all the cinematic scripts has been removed.

9 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-20 19:50:09)

Ops! Ok. sad If removed, there is no possibility to return back. Thanks for informations my friend. Take care and waiting for new release impatiently. Good night!

there are several reasons why I started to remove the cutscenes

1) A map in a coop game is played many times, the cutscenes are waste of time after a while, people just want to play
2) cutscenes are very difficult to handle for players that join late, because they miss a part of it, so its better in my opinion to leave them out
3) the cutscenes code had a lot of bugs in it, it was easier to just strip it out

I have to agree, Fretn. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the cutscenes, especially the one for "Dam":

"What am I supposed to do with all this cheese?!"

"I don't know. Buy some crackers?"

big_smile big_smile big_smile

They don't really fit, though, when it comes to RTCW COOP mod. COOP is all about fast, hectic action from map to map, the beloved cutscenes would just slow that action down.

fyi. I converted the dam cine with cheese to work as regular in game action. So if you sneak carefully you can hear that conversation. But if you show up or make a noise they shoot you. ;-)

13 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-19 08:25:08)

Hi Fretn & Gansta, Thanks for your kind informations. I completely agree if the cinematic scripts prevent experience. But thank you Sage if any possibility to fix the cinematics as you provide I will be and many ppl appreciated to see, hear and watch in-game. I also very like Dam cinematic too. big_smile I know the cinematics are not primary target but I always love to see them in-game. Because as my earlier messages, this cinematics can effect atmosphere very great. Thank you guys and waiting for next release for greater experience. I congratulate your efforts. Regards...

Hi again! I edited my first message with the addition of Tomb (Boss1) fix for 0.9.3. release. Our good friend {SSF}Sage confirmed that this bugs are already fixed in next release. Yay! big_smile

15 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2013-02-19 21:33:45)

Now is your choice to give me a note about which cinematics you guys prefer to see in COOP gameplay. I am planning to atleast reconstruct the kessler house cinematic in village1 for COOP gameplay style (with a safe check).

NOTE cameras will NOT be there!

So in order for the cinematic to work, you must be able to play it, and it must be possible to interrupt easily by showing yourself to the enemy or firing a shot. I don't promise to do anything, but if you give me a good suggestion, I might consider reconstructing it (also tell me how it could be reconstructed to work in COOP gameplay).

Boss1 is ruled out and boss2 already has a bit (deathshead says few lines) so that is ruled out too. Also dam, end and village1. Might not remember all, in hurry now.

I am not going to build totally new cinematics, because of lack of voice talents and simply time. Reason I ask for this is that I can't remember all.

16 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-20 10:35:16)

I congratulate your efforts Sage. Sure the cameras will not be there if we can see and move while playing cinematics, it is better and realistic. I prefer it.

For the possible cinematics, I will fastly play the original campaign from beginning and let you know one by one with pictures. You can start fixing the cinematics which you already know. Such as AI's talking to each other. Like fixing the generator in norway, or fixing the vent leak in dam or disarming the dynamite, also the german soldier who is out of ammo and escaping from 2 zombies behind the closed gate in Catacomb etc.(The last one is already working I watch)

I also enabled the intro cinematic of wizard and Heinrich from the Wolfconfig.coop.cfg file. It is better for me and can bypass with a mouse click. I enabled it because my all partners havent played Rtcw before and doesnt know the main subject of the game. Also they all wants to see who is Heinrich and why we sended to destroy him. They watched and loved intro smile We are all old tactical players. (I mean team oriented and try to do real cooperation while playing. We prefer hard and nightmare skills to force every member to make cooperation. It is better and realistic.)

But at the other hand, if not any possiblity for the cinematics like first one making conversation of an agent with president and escape1 when the doctor interrogate the agent, there is nothing to do for it. It can be remain disabled. sad I will let you know all cinematics from the game asap. wink

17 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2013-02-20 11:21:29)

"intro cinematic of wizard and Heinrich"

I take it you mean when you start your game exe.

"escape1 when the doctor interrogate the agent"

I am thinking about this already. But probably will not make it.

Any OSA office/president cinematics will not be there. Or any other cinematics between maps or missions. Only during game.

Other you mentioned in your last post are there already. None of the small sequences, that originally did not have camera have been removed afaik (some might be bugged, I can't remember, those that I noticed I fixed).

Well probably the ones not remembered are not meaningful. Takes a lot of time for you to play it through. Cheers. smile

set@mon wrote:

I also enabled the intro cinematic of wizard and Heinrich from the Wolfconfig.coop.cfg file. It is better for me and can bypass with a mouse click. I enabled it because my all partners havent played Rtcw before and doesnt know the main subject of the game. Also they all wants to see who is Heinrich and why we sended to destroy him. They watched and loved intro smile We are all old tactical players. (I mean team oriented and try to do real cooperation while playing. We prefer hard and nightmare skills to force every member to make cooperation. It is better and realistic.)

this one was disabled by default because it didnt work on widescreen setups. But this is fixed in next release !

19 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-20 11:54:20)

I clearly understood. Only possibility for in-game cinematics and not possibility for between maps, after load or something else. It is ok guys! I was meaning for the cinematics which are not in-game. So I see that, it is not possible and please go on the project as regular guys. So not necessary for to play whole game from the beginning for cinematics. You know the cinematics already which are in game. Also in-game conversations or other cinematics will not get too much attention for players. They will engage without waiting but it is better to know that they are included there. smile Thanks again...

Also when do you plan to release 0.9.4? Any date?

maybe this week but most likely next week

All of the in-map cinematics that used CAMERA in singleplayer were removed as a start. Few of them I added back to work without camera. This what I am talking about, it does not come to my mind which other could be added back.

Dam truck cinematic is a perfect example. In SP it starts when map is loaded, it uses camera. It was first removed for coop. I later on readded it to work without camera, so if you are sneaky you'll notice it is still here (talking about next coop version). Similar cinematics to this may be added again.

22 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-20 19:40:07)

Yes Sage, I saw and listened the Dam cinematic already. It was excellent. So, please go on and try to fix similar cinematics too. As possible as, I am on the behalf of original campaign experience.  Dont understand me wrong, but I want to give an example. The mod of Doom 3 which is called as Opencoop. It is very successfull mod. I want this RtcwCoop mod to be successfull too. Because Rtcw and your efforts deserve. wink

Sage also I want to ask you a question. May be it is stupid one but I am interested. Can you re add first interrogation scene to escape1 map with a trigger when you reach the doctors rooms small window? Can we see the interrogation without detected from this window( Here is the picture where I mean) I only want to learn possibility. But if possible it is absolutely perfect, wonderful, legendary smile

Post's attachments

shot0000.jpg
shot0000.jpg 87.24 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Well that window is the only way possible. I have been thinking about that. One problem thought is that in COOP we have in certain reinforces nazies before that scene. So first shots might be fired before you see the doctor. However I remember the sight/hearing of the DRZ is horrible, so it might not matter. You can run around him and kick him. But yes I am thinking about this, if there is a clever way to make it.

24 (edited by set@mon 2013-02-20 19:35:54)

It is nice that we thought same things. But we dont need nazi soldiers before the doctor I think. The path is very short and we reach doctor silently without any noise and can watch the scene. If players dont prefer to watch, they can engage and interrogation will stop also kill doctor with the soldier who is sended by the doctor for us in original campaign. Isnt it?

Any other possibility can be the soldiers before the doctor can be remain but their face have to be turn back and we can kill them with knife silently. Maybe you can do this scene after we reach to this window. smile

Also I put 2 example pictures that I made with photoshop to show you what I exactly mean. If we want soldier at downstairs before the doctor at the corridor of cells, the soldier can patrol at there. We can kill him from behind silently and can trigger interrogation at upstairs. First picture shows leaning from behind of soldier. 2nd one as you see to prepare to kill with knife. What is your considerations?

An extra information that I have just tried to make some noise with gun at downstairs and the doctor doesnt care of it. He cant hear anything smile But this is not realistic. May be the killing soldiers silently before doctor is more realistic. Hope you think same as me!

Post's attachments

examples.jpg
examples.jpg 452.53 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Alright. Escape1 has now a new awesome cine. tongue Kinda took of from the idea what was left from when the original cine ended. "Let's try again..." and now he electrocutes agent, and does other things and the whole chain of actions loop forever until player is spotted.

Too bad there is no animation for the dr to pull the lever, so we need to settle to do it same way player do it (just press button and get no animation). In case you don't want to wait to see it, the scripts are found from "changes" in google code. 0.9.3 compatible. Cheers! wink