1 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2013-03-04 18:06:34)

Topic: Custom mappack Capuzzo released for COOP!

Hey!

I have some new content for you to guys to play with the new COOP version 0.9.4! Capuzzo is a mappack that contains 3 African style maps. The project supports all new and old COOP features. This is a stable and open beta release.  It will not affect any original COOP mod's files.

http://i43.tinypic.com/4g6pf7.jpg

STORY:

January 1943 - The war in Africa is finally coming to an end.
The Allied intelligence has discovered a group of Axis engineers planning
a new super plane in Capuzzo Airport. You have been sent to steal
the blueprints and sabotage their project. Once you are done,
you will be transported to a friendly location.

http://i45.tinypic.com/dzfipd.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/fdhfv8.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/otfc4w.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j2xnp5.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/358drgy.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2e4esye.jpg

Link to the original SP project release:

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.p … zzo-3-maps

Download and unzip it to your game installation's main folder:

!!!DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

Re: Custom mappack Capuzzo released for COOP!

It's a great RTCW mission with tons of superb action, Sage. It's definitely one of my favourite RTCW COOP maps cool .

3 (edited by nate 2013-04-15 18:06:13)

Is there a possibility to obtain map files? I went thru it in wolfX and it sparked in me some interest for later on. smile

I would convert it to DM map..I could do that now by simply editing entities but I'm more leaning towards updating whole map with new functionality (physics..), once it's added that is.

EDIT: How it looks like in wolfX (note that I'm blind so have bright settings):
http://repository.rtcwx.com/wolfX/ss/cap0.jpg
http://repository.rtcwx.com/wolfX/ss/cap1.jpg
http://repository.rtcwx.com/wolfX/ss/cap2.jpg

gold everywhere !!!! big_smile

Having these maps compiled properly might be hard if some things are changed. Limits are close.

That looks epic, Nate cool .

7 (edited by nate 2013-04-16 17:03:17)

fretn wrote:

gold everywhere !!!! big_smile

Thinking about it, I think I should completely disable gold rush on this map due all the possible confusion it may cause big_smile

-SSF-Sage wrote:

Having these maps compiled properly might be hard if some things are changed. Limits are close.

I have no clue nor experience with mapping, I know how to edit maps and manipulate entities but that's about it. I could edit the map and convert it to mp by taking bot entities out and adding mp spawns, start spawn etc.. but that's not really what I want, in fact I wouldn't even do it without your permission.

But maps, I actually would need source later on as when newton physics, new models and stuff are done so I can replace the assets and compile it with it. Limits and stuff are something I would worry about it later, at the end of the day, I could maybe overwrite whole compile procedure or just add direct (map) reading support etc.. Alternatively, if you would be willing to reformat it with new models and stuff when stuff is done, I don't even need a source..I just asked cause generally, I don't want to give you more work you already have. smile

Hey Nate map looks awesome and i loved the work on Wolfx too matey.  I am in a similar boat with regard to maps i desperately would love to learn how to remove and replace map entities i have looked at tutorials and they leave me cold if anyone could come up with a beginners guide to map editing that would be awesome there are a few maps we have problems with that i would love to fix.  Any help you can offer would be gratefully received!!

Btw Capuzzo mp for w-et is open source. The city and airport are one map and is rtcw only. It is so small for mp anyway.

Dog I told you many times. Ask on the forums. I answer.

I'm primary interested in city, for dm and goldrush gametype. It's perfect for that. smile

@dogster
Hex editing map is simple once you understand few fundamentals.  You also have to note that manipulating entities means you're only able to modify or delete stuff that's movable, destroyable etc but you cannot alter the world, world is what it is so you cannot etc remove a bunker.

In a nutshell you follow this rules:
- There can only be same amount of entities or less, not more or map will crash on load time.
- If converting SP to MP you need to add;
-- Spec spawn point (where spectator starts once player connects)
-- Axis/Allied spawns and respawns
-- Any objective you want (flagpole or documents and trigger_flagonly hook under a brush so game ends once docs are in that area).
- Additionally (if you remove enough of default entities) you can also add locations and any models in you want - stuff like trees, weapons, vehicles..
- Once all is added, you naturally need to alter or create a script so game is playable (checkpoint, obj..).

I've wrote a tutorial years ago, about how to convert SP village map in MP version by hex editing it..once you're comfortable enough with it, it takes you up to 30 mins. to convert any map to whatever you want (and is possible that is). I may still have it around, but it's around 30 pages long, wasn't spell checked and was written in one breath so grammar is surely awful. If you wish I can look if if I still have it. smile

Now things did get confusing for beginners. The list you made does not apply to COOP. The hex editing is not really nice thing to do imho. I would personally never get into doing that. Also hex editing is illegal and in theory can result in a lawsuit. But I understand that is what you need to do for wolfx atm if you don't have the map source.

But you do not need to do hex editing for COOP. We have the simple tools to add/remove most entities by using the ents file. You can simply remove/add/copy any game entity. Ofc we can not alter the world/houses and such either. And we atm cannot add new brushes, so adding extra triggers is not possible. But we always can use the existing ones or trigger the action by another game event (eg. when a nazi sees you/dies or you open a door etc.).

But let's not mix wolfx editing with coop editing, this is a coop forum after all.

[for nate only]
Nate, we can have a look about it. Also I seemed to make a mistake in my last post. That's what using mobile causes. City+Airport = 1 W-ET map. If possible, I would prefer using that, as it is already open source, not developed and MP tweaked. Road (last map) was made for SP only.

For wolfx I'd go for a similar approach as coop has. Ignore certain entities in code. Then add a simple removeEntity command (takes 2 entities to remove an entity with script). Then add ents file support so you can add any game entities. Then build support for brushmodel *number and a way to create a new brush. Ofc this would only be needed if you don't have map file.
[/for nate only]

Actually editing entities is ambiguous at best.

As there's no difference if you edit a map by mod (adding gametype and dropping a rule (flag, spawn point..)) or by altering property of the source, in either cases it's the same. But it's debatable yes. I personally don't see a problem if one edits the map in sense to fix what designer done wrong or to suit his own agenda (new gametype etc) as long as one doesn't claim to be the author of it or does anything that would strip original author out of his credits in any way. But I fully understand that some authors don't want no one to meddle with what and how they done it.

As for entities editing, it applies on all rtcw as well as quake3, (probably even jedi and other q3 powered games) and other games. Brushes are hardcoded so you cannot alter static stuff (world in general), but you can easily hook a trigger under existing brush, alter it's behaviour to achieve your outcome. For example in SP village2, you modify SP end game and hook "trigger_flagonly" entity, which will once documents carrier is there, thru script call the game end, in that sense you can hook it almost under any existing brush in the world. I could easily edit any coop map and change where soldier spawns, it wouldn't make any sense since it's already controlled by ents and other scripts but I could, if I would want to.

As for cappuzo. Tbh it's not a rush thing, I only asked for source because it may take a year or more before I even reach the stage I will want to address mapping so by that time you may be long gone and unreachable. I mean, idea of wolfX later on is to replace all assets..that means that all the default maps will be lost, so I'll have to present new alternatives. I could redo default maps but what's the point? I think wolfX should follow it's idea and present new maps and tries to surpass current ones (mp_beach, mp_base..). While it's pretty much an impossible task to surpass something that's a leading factor for decade, but hey, one has to try I guess. smile

As for mapping it self. To be completely honest, I don't even want to deal with it at all. I rather see that someone else does it..but I only know handful of mappers and most are either uninterested or are doing other things so I don't even approach them. If you have the interest in mapping for wolfX once it comes to it, I'll gladly accept any help..but like I said, that's quite far atm as well as, I don't really want to bug people that have other things to do..thus given task to my self to do it, once it comes to it. smile

Well aslong as you have the original pk3 file as it was released, and have different pk3 to override certain thing, it will be legal in most cases. Hacking one's bsp is most surely illegal and will make most devs see red. But most importantly, it would be so much easier and safer to build a real system instead of hexing. I think etpro mapscripts is a great example.

I know removing world brushes is almost impossible, but I'm talking about adding new brushes. Eg. add new clip brushes for a new model or make a totally new trigger. I don't honestly expect it to be realistic to build a world or even change one corridor with scripts anyway.

But personally. I would only accept projects that has their author's permission. And preferably the map source.

Yet again, I come back to the W-ET scene. I know a lot of popular custom maps had their sources released and given a license to use as you ever want to. Would solve any legality issues and turn months of script/hex/code work into few days. Converting map from ET to RTCW(ish) is not big work. Especially if you implement the implicit shader commands, making it easy to just paste the shaders too. And spline system and other new script commands.

http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/tramde … ls/etdocs/

This went completely of course. I wont really address hexing maps much as it's a topic for it self and we already bloated this one so much..But yeah, we completely misunderstood each other. I neither had nor have any plans to hex any map at all.

WolfX will eventually offer new stuff that mappers will be able to utilize (lightning, physics..), so in that sense and spirit of providing non-property assets there wont be any point any more to use outdated maps that don't utilize that new features (once in). Once, and if it comes to that stage my plans are to create new maps that will naturally also utilize new stuff..now if it's from scratch or by using a map as building start doesn't really matter. I just ran your campaign and saw potential in it, thus I asked. But as far as if it's ET or COOP etc, doesn't really matter to me, as by now you probably figure out, that any source map I would use, would need to be modified from start in order to even use new stuff, so lightning, shaders and stuff would in that sense be completely wiped out and only structures and textures would stay. 

But this is really just thinking way ahead..as there's tons of work that needs to be done before it even comes to a stage, where tackling the maps will come in equation. As far as the whole licensing goes..I'm planning to remove all property assets so it can be freely distributed, in that sense it wouldn't and it doesn't make any sense to take any non-gpl'ed or other wise incompatible way of obtaining a map, as that would be just changing the owner and not getting rid of the initial problem - property license.

But yeah, just by looking at what kinda mess we managed to create here, I think it's best that I just stick to building stuff from start on my own or deal with already released map sources and avoid any further misunderstandings and novels. smile

P.S. Dogster. I found the editing tutorial I wrote..if you need it that is. smile

Yes please Nate email me at bryandray@hotmail.com........... Sorry if i hijacked the thread i didn't mean to cause a problem i just saw nate mention about entities and thought bingo!.  The edits i am trying to make are for et maps and while i agree that permission is a good thing most of the mappers for et are long gone, moved on to better things..... I am not interested in passing off any map as my own work i am just trying to solve some issue we have with maps we use on a regular basis.

Once again sorry if it caused a problem...  i just wish i understood all the stuff you guys do so I could get more involved,  maybe i just stick to beta testing!!!  lolz

Sent. smile

Many thanks bro!