Topic: Banning Players

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's any way of banning players from our server? I've looked at the !list_cmds command, but can't find anything. The reason I'm asking this is because yesterday we had some clown, who goes by the names of "MAIN HERO", "I'M HERO" and even "SERVER ADMIN", hopping from server to server and deliberately crashing each server he was on by constantly calling votes.

He crashed our server about 5 times and when I originally looked at the RTCW COOP server list there were 7 servers available, by the time this asshat had finished there were only 3 up and running. I kicked him about 10 times and had to restart the server twice just to get rid of him. I spoke to an Australian player on our server and he said that the moron was doing the same thing on the last server he was on.

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Re: Banning Players

Oh this is really bad. sad Who can have so much hate for a humble mod?

I really don't have much to contribute to this. Luckily the vote bug is fixed in new version, along with some other bugs, so atleast the guy needs to find a new way to annoy.

I don't know if there is a way to ban atm. I wonder if     !ignore <unique part of name>  will remain after the guy rejoins. Probably not.

3 (edited by nate 2013-03-20 00:57:38)

There is a default game banning g_banips but I can't vouch it's working and even if it does, it's fairly limited.

Reason I didn't add any banning yet is that it's kinda a complicating issue.
Since there's no guid alike scheme or any other alternative that could be used as a persistent global marker there's only one option left, IPs. Relaying on IP's is a false sense of security as it works for average joe but anyone with some will or knowledge can escape his range using various tunnels, tools, apps..or just spoof it all together.

I can if you wish update admins and implement modest banning system with support for range banning ip's, bypasses for ones caught in range and will probably cope fine with most of fruitcakes that come by..but like I said, it's not bullet proof and as anything in life, it comes with it's own share of problems (ppl caught in range have to get password from you to enter etc..).

For time being try with limiting votes with g_votesPerUser ..setting to one should help some hopefully.

EDIT: @Sage no, ignore clears as soon as player disconnects or reconnects. It doesn't relay on anything but in-game tracking (sessions) so all is lost once player leaves.

So I thought. Thanks for clearing.

Added ban and tempban feature this morning. If sky doesn't fall on our heads it should be out with next release.

Meanwhile, you can read this novel so you'll be ready once it's released: http://code.google.com/p/bzzwolfsp/wiki … ed=banning

smile

That's great, thanks for your help as always. I was wondering, guys, will the next release be soon, like a patch called "0.9.4b" or something like that, like the developers of WolfET did for their 2.60 release, or will it be the same scenario as 0.9.4 ? Either way we're happy to wait, you've made tremendous progress already. The mod has always been fun to play, but now it's fantastic with most of the bugs now removed.

It will be 0.9.5, we've got already many fixes smile

In the last 3 days, 5 different people commited fixes to the svn smile

We've managed to fix impressive amount of major and minor bugs. Also we are finally making the AI respawn to be fun to play. And we are hoping on releasing 0.9.5 in a week or two, depending on how some things turn out.

Ps. Gangsta: Check your email.