1 (edited by wolfmp 2013-05-25 18:01:35)

Topic: dedicated local server

dedicated local servers do not show up in the local list, this is the same for RTCW MP so I dont think it is directly related to COOP

Re: dedicated local server

on macosx they show up, and on linux probably also, cannot test this on windows atm

are you sure your firewall isnt blocking it ? (on osx it pops up asking if it can access network)

Are you sure you are on same subnet? As it works fine over lan on coop and in rtcw as far as I recall.

4 (edited by wolfmp 2013-05-25 22:40:19)

Yes the server is on the same subnet. Maybe it's because I am setting "dedicated" to "2"? I can manually connect via console but my 4 year old son who likes to play can not and since there isn't a favorites list to add the local ip to he can't connect by himself or reconnect after a client crash.

dedicated 2 = internet server
you need to set dedicated to 1 for a lan dedicated server

Dedicated 2 should not play any roll (besides global broadcasting), as if it server is set to 1 or 2, it should still be visible on lan.  It's been a while since I actually run server on different box (for testing purposes) so my memory may be playing tricks on me, but as far as I recall, it should show up just fine. Otherwise try with 1 and see if that helped.

Although, if you have problems one option is to create a config file on your son's computer, call it server or something, dump in it connect IP and he can then simply open the console and execute the file /exec server etc.. that should solve issues since he only has to remember 2 things. Although, in that case, make sure port is always correct etc.

Yes, I understand that but I want to keep it open to the public and still be able to have it show up in the local list because I can't connect via public IP address. Any way to get a favorites list or be able to set options on the shortcut to launch the game and connect directly to the server automatically? For example: "rtcwcoop.exe" +connect 192.168.1.xxx:2796x

8 (edited by nate 2013-05-25 23:14:19)

Yeah you can shortuct it, just create a batch (bat) like you wrote and he can simply run it and should connect him on spot. Just make sure port is always correct.

EDIT: Just for the record, bat should have only rtcwcoop.exe +connect .. without quotes. I assume you already know that, but if someone reads it after with same or similar problem.

if you want it to be publicly accessible you need to make sure ports 27950 and 27960 are forwarded in your router to your computer, and also make sure that your firewall doesnt block these ports

btw: A 4 year old that plays an FPS, haha thats awesome !

fretn wrote:

btw: A 4 year old that plays an FPS, haha thats awesome !

Not so awesome since his dad is letting him play a 'M' rated game.

No need to troll the thread. As far as playing a M rated game, in this case there's no nudity or foul language so if kid can handle game atmosphere (has no nightmares), why not.

nate wrote:

No need to troll the thread. As far as playing a M rated game, in this case there's no nudity or foul language so if kid can handle game atmosphere (has no nightmares), why not.

It still affects his future. If he's gonna continue playing these games a lot, his personality might really be weird.