26 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2012-10-16 00:31:31)

Re: Bug & Feature List

Probably some of you are aknowledged of this bug, dunno. This bug dates back to the original RTCW and I thought it was fixed for COOP, but is not. If AI is alive (atleast regular soldat, did not test others) it will be not drawn if it is out of the engines visibility (r_showtris 1). However once the soldier is dead, it will be drawn by the engine even if it is out of the visibility. Now it might quickly seem like they are not drawn judging from "r_showtris 1", but they actually are still calculated. So r_showtris lies on this bug.

If you select a point facing towards where you can imagine the most of the map be and type "r_speeds 1" and check the numbers. Do this after you spawned the bots, but they are still alive. Then kill them and check the numbers again in the same spot facing same direction. And you will notice the verts drawn by the engine has been multiplied several times, which causes FPS to lower down a lot. The more soldiers you have and the further you are in the level, the higher the impact gets ofc.

Fixing it would improve the performance. There are 2 options for it. Either delete the bots some time after death or fix the bug with the death animation.

yes I know, I wanted to change this so the bodies disappear like in multiplayer, but marvin wanted the bodies to stay around for realism

maybe I make this cvar'able

28 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2012-10-16 11:55:12)

Well animating and coding are the areas that are not very strong in my cababilities. But have you looked at the code if you could fix the bug?

{SSF}Sage wrote:

Well animating and coding are the areas that are not very strong in my cababilities. But have you looked at the code if you could fix the bug?

its not really a bug smile it is just how things work currently, but yes I can make the bodies dissappear after a few minutes

30 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2012-10-16 13:27:55)

I'm not sure if you get it. It was stated to be a bug and overlooked back in the days when RTCW was created. They did not think it was too important for a weird reason (even tho it cuts the FPS like 50%). But now we have way more AIs and the problem grows much.

I do prefer that the bodies stay on the ground, because it's realistic, and it's easier to know where your co-players have been if you lost them. I also know that a lot of players dislike dissapearing bodies. This would not be a problem, if the bug was fixed.

Bodies should lay on the ground, but they should not be calculated when you are on the other side of the map. Living AI's are not calculated but dead AI's are.

Ah I think I understand it now. The entities shouldnt be rendered when you cannot view them

There's a comment about this in the source code, I'll have to experiment with this one. if I cannot fix it by not rendering them if they are not visible, I will make it work like in wolfmp, just sinking into the ground

32 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2012-10-16 15:08:41)

Exactly. Great!

Edit. If you have to sink and remove them, then make the time long. Atleast 1-2 minutes or so before it happens.

33 (edited by TitaN655 2012-10-16 20:47:58)

Another bug to report, you were in my server when this happened fretn.

[Major] During the start of Village1, if a new player connects while Kessler is talking, he will repeat his first sentence, but stop and not open the book case. If a restart vote is initiated, then the server crashes with the error shown in the attachment.

The error can easily be repeated by following the same process, it happened again after a server restart.

Post's attachments

error.png
error.png 65.18 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I can confirm this Bug, i wrote about it elsewhere.

ah thanks for the screenshot, was hoping you noticed the error !

the bodies error is fixed in svn, next release will have it !

Wtf! It was fixed that quickly and nobody bothered to fix it back then. :S Did you check it with r_speeds? Really nice job! Impressive. tongue Thanks!

{SSF}Sage wrote:

Wtf! It was fixed that quickly and nobody bothered to fix it back then. :S Did you check it with r_speeds? Really nice job! Impressive. tongue Thanks!

it checked with r_showtris, the bodies dissappear when they are outside your pvs

but it needs to be tested because there was a comment next to that part of the code which said this can cause dead animations to replay, so I might revert my changes

Like I said. Only way to really know if it works is by checking the r_speeds. Go to the map start, check the numbers, play the map through, go to the exactly same position facing the same direction and check r_speeds again. If the numbers are about same, you have fixed it. If you have like 3-10 times more tris calculated, bug is still there.

Don't trust r_showtris on this bug, it can LIE (did for me). r_speeds proves IF the engine calculates them even when your eyes can SEE it dissapearing with r_showtris.

okay

I don't know if it is a bug or a feature or known already, but caps/helmets are dissapearing after a headshot.

Also please add explanation for g_spawnpoints 2 for flagzones (and somewhere it is g_spawnpoint in it, without the S) in http://code.google.com/p/bzzwolfsp/wiki/HowTo would have saved me some searching. smile

I got something a bit more specific on this bug:
- [Medium] Some bugs with the UI still. For example, when on a server, and click on "Join Server", and you press Esc to go back to game, you are disconnected and taken to the main menu.
You can reproduce it when you click "Join Server" when already connected to a server. You then click on a server and click on "Server Info". You may notice the background will change, when you close the 'Server Info' pop-up, you will notice you have been taken back to the main menu.

I've had very little experience with RTCW UI (in fact, none at all). However, I have made one of the most advanced menus in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. I had a look at the UI for this bug and I found it looks and is laid out very similar to ET. So I managed to construct a working (tested) fix for this bug you could include in the next release:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9mswcycazl7ybbo

Crypt2: The door in the room with four mummys still does not open in coop.
Church map: Helga and her technician did not flee. Map isn't finishable, because one objective missing.

Server crashed while loading forest map.

Hitch warning: 1000 msec frame time
ERROR: AICast_ScriptParse(), Error (line 23): unknown action: numsecretst.

----- Server Shutdown Server crashed: AICast_ScriptParse(), Error (line 23): unk
nown action: numsecretst.

-----
==== ShutdownGame ====
AAS shutdown.
---------------------------
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

cybdmn wrote:

Server crashed while loading forest map.

Hitch warning: 1000 msec frame time
ERROR: AICast_ScriptParse(), Error (line 23): unknown action: numsecretst.

----- Server Shutdown Server crashed: AICast_ScriptParse(), Error (line 23): unk
nown action: numsecretst.

-----
==== ShutdownGame ====
AAS shutdown.
---------------------------
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

dammit, I deserve a punch in the stomach

45 (edited by cybdmn 2012-10-28 20:12:45)

It is still not v1.0, we testing to find bugs, so that in the end the game works. ;-)

Edit: In the vote menu, in tab MAP no map is shown.

cybdmn wrote:

It is still not v1.0, we testing to find bugs, so that in the end the game works. ;-)

hmm it does for me on 0.9 and on 0.9.1 (on a local listen server)

fretn wrote:
cybdmn wrote:

Maybe you need to run your server in 'dedicated 2' mode, I have found that I have the same problem.
This error is obviously reproduced by running a dedicated server, it if does not happen on a local server.

Also, I have some more bug reports, I will added them later once I have found more. For now I am only onto testing the map Forest; I might have to skip this one for now due to this error as I test for bugs as well as running a dedicated server. Maybe you should come visit sometimes, it's name is '#ETCLAN.net CO-OP*'. I cannot give the IP out as it is host on my PC for now, and my ISP uses a dynamic IP address.

Alright, I have managed to gather some more bugs, (so far i've only just finished boss2 (Uber-Soldat), and that's all for today), but the list is quite big...

- [Medium] The enemies are in same position as the cutscenes on 'Crypt1' and 'Church'
- [Minor] Door textures are flipped in accordance to where their 'hinges are'
- [Medium] Some enemies spawn incorrectly (in objects/walls/flags) so they cannot move or attack, so far I have found this happens in 'Kugalstadt' at the start, doen the alleyway there is a sniper who is stuck in the wall, and in 'SWF' where where is an enemy stuck in the flag at the U-boat.

Church
- [Major] Cannot be completed due to objectives (may be because of cutscene, some elite guard do not spawn at the beginning.

Tomb
- [Minor] You start the map, the cutscene continues on the map start, as you can hear the sounds of the monster breaking out and Helga screeming.

Kugalstadt
- [Major] When the tank is destroyed by anti-tank weapon, the map is failed, and restarted, the screen stays black, even when map is restarted.

The bombed Factory
- [Medium] Stats do not show at end

Norway
- [Medium] Some textures are the camoflage netting texture, not transparent also, but black

X-labs
- [Major] The electical door security field does not de-activate at the start after killing the enemies
- [Medium] At the secret area (after the swim, where the loper, scientist and proto-solider fight looking through the window), the door explodes immediately and nothing else happens.

--

I also got some info about a disconnect bug (that I think you already know about). I seem to get it a lot when moving on from Trainyard to SWF, maybe you could try reproducing it that way, but this is the following error I receive on disconnect:
CL_GetServerCommand: a reliable command was cycled out
When I took a look at the server console, there was nothing abnormal, only showing that all players had disconnected.

TitaN655 wrote:
fretn wrote:
cybdmn wrote:

Maybe you need to run your server in 'dedicated 2' mode, I have found that I have the same problem.
This error is obviously reproduced by running a dedicated server, it if does not happen on a local server.

Also, I have some more bug reports, I will added them later once I have found more. For now I am only onto testing the map Forest; I might have to skip this one for now due to this error as I test for bugs as well as running a dedicated server. Maybe you should come visit sometimes, it's name is '#ETCLAN.net CO-OP*'. I cannot give the IP out as it is host on my PC for now, and my ISP uses a dynamic IP address.

I was already afraid it would have been a dedicated issue, I'll try to fix it

If I have some free time I'll try to join, but currently my little free time goes into trying to fix of the bugs on the huge list

All the cutscene related stuff needs to be removed from the scripts, this breaks everything, and I'm getting really annoyed by it smile

TitaN655 wrote:

Alright, I have managed to gather some more bugs, (so far i've only just finished boss2 (Uber-Soldat), and that's all for today), but the list is quite big...

- [Medium] The enemies are in same position as the cutscenes on 'Crypt1' and 'Church'
- [Minor] Door textures are flipped in accordance to where their 'hinges are'
- [Medium] Some enemies spawn incorrectly (in objects/walls/flags) so they cannot move or attack, so far I have found this happens in 'Kugalstadt' at the start, doen the alleyway there is a sniper who is stuck in the wall, and in 'SWF' where where is an enemy stuck in the flag at the U-boat.

Church
- [Major] Cannot be completed due to objectives (may be because of cutscene, some elite guard do not spawn at the beginning.

Tomb
- [Minor] You start the map, the cutscene continues on the map start, as you can hear the sounds of the monster breaking out and Helga screeming.

Kugalstadt
- [Major] When the tank is destroyed by anti-tank weapon, the map is failed, and restarted, the screen stays black, even when map is restarted.

The bombed Factory
- [Medium] Stats do not show at end

Norway
- [Medium] Some textures are the camoflage netting texture, not transparent also, but black

X-labs
- [Major] The electical door security field does not de-activate at the start after killing the enemies
- [Medium] At the secret area (after the swim, where the loper, scientist and proto-solider fight looking through the window), the door explodes immediately and nothing else happens.

--

I also got some info about a disconnect bug (that I think you already know about). I seem to get it a lot when moving on from Trainyard to SWF, maybe you could try reproducing it that way, but this is the following error I receive on disconnect:
CL_GetServerCommand: a reliable command was cycled out
When I took a look at the server console, there was nothing abnormal, only showing that all players had disconnected.

with how many players where you playing, it looks to me that it happens most of the time with more than 2 players. And only sometimes with 2 players (and until now never when I was playing alone)