Topic: android and arm/powerpc linux

Hello. I have interested in this project. I am curious as to how you will be handling arm linux and powerpc linux, not to mention android and (unlikely) powerpc mac. It would be nice if, like ioquake3, it isn't architexture dependent on anything.

2 (edited by nate 2014-07-11 02:11:49)

Re: android and arm/powerpc linux

It's running in VM so it's more or less isolated from architecture. Naturally some modifications are always required but they're usually trivial. Bigger problem is generally having hardware for testing and compiles.  Don't know about android tho, never dived in those waters but I believe one already ported rtcw so, it's probably not that hard. Tho MAA can give you more details about various ins and outs about supported and currently unsupported specs so wait for him to come around.

i thought that rtwc was like jedi academy and wolfenstein enemy territory, where rather than .qvm's, .dll's and .so's were used.

4 (edited by nate 2014-07-11 02:16:56)

Yeah by default native was used but MMA merged ioquake into (io)rtcw which as you know fully supports VM. (io)Rtcw is the engine that's used now in coop as well thus you get full VM support with it. 

Personally I'm not keen towards (VM) it, but it has its merits.

Coop doesn't use qvm's...it's dll's only (at least right now)

PPC mac does work out of the box and is tested..requires a minimum OSX 10.5

It should work on linux arm/linux PPC as well...at least the dedicated should at minimum. (You won't be able to connect to any pure servers though with the client.)

The OpenGLES stuff is only experimental and shouldn't be considered playable. There are a good amount of bugs with it.

It really can be built for almost any platform or architecture, but only linux/mac/windows (32/64/PPC) are tested.