Topic: Home Server Success

After setting ports in my router to forward and opening ports AND turning off Windows Firewall, I got a server up and running.  I had two friends join me by using /connect in their console and entering my IP address.  The server didn't show up in the game browser but we were able to play fine through the first 4 missions.  When we finished Village my computer crashed.  I restarted it and got the server up and running again and started it with Catacombs.  When we finished that mission my computer crashed again.  After that we all went to the KT RTCW server and played regular Wolf MP.

After browsing the forums here I'm wondering if this crashing is one of the problems encountered when running a server AND playing on it on the same computer.  If I set up a dedicated server here at home on a separate computer and played on it from my regular computer, would it likely fix the crashing problem?

Re: Home Server Success

Hi Froot, nice to see you here. What error message, if any, are you getting when your server crashes?

3 (edited by frootloop 2015-03-28 17:16:51)

I think I remember getting a message after relaunching Coop that the video settings were too high and asked if I wanted to startup in safe video mode.  I told it no.

I play on the KT server almost every day and maybe a couple of times a week my video card software "stops working", the screen goes blank and most of the time I have to hold the power button down until the computer shuts off.  Upon restart, I get a windows message saying "your video software stopped working". 

The last few times I've updated my video drivers RTCW acts like it's playing on a Pentium 2 and I have to remove new drivers and go back to 2010ish drivers.

I get the occasional "black screen" when I start RtCW or RtCW Coop on this computer of mine, which I got just recently. I've no idea what causes it either, but, when it occurs, I just leave it for about 30 seconds or so and everything goes back to normal.

I have two Nvidia 7950 GX2 cards running on SLI and my drivers are up to date.