Topic: Tried to play with a friend, no luck

Hi everyone. I spent yesterday's afternoon trying to play RTCW Coop with a friend, to no avail. This was our experience:

First, we found the config menu lacking many options. Actually, the only graphical options available were the screen resolution, color depth and that's it. We had to run vanilla RTCW to configure the game's graphics. Not optimal.

Second, we could not set the resolution to 1920x1080. I thought this had been added to this mod, as it is based on ioRTCW, yet the menu only listed the original ones (dunno why), so we had to edit the .cfg to change it.

Then, when trying to create a new server, we didn't see any option to run and host at the same time on LAN (we were using Hamachi). Actually, the options are a bit confusing: we have Dedicated (internet), Dedicated (LAN) and Non-dedicated (which I'm not sure what it does exactly). We tried several combinations, after opening port 27960 and deactivating the firewall.

When running a dedicated server, my friend managed to connect to my PC (with direct IP), but I was then unable to join and play (opening another game instance), as I got the "Bad challenge" error. When trying non-dedicated, he was able to see my server on the list, but got that same "Bad challenge" when connecting. He then tried to create a server, with the same results. We spent some time but nothing we did got it working.

We have played many coop games in the past, either on LAN (with Hamachi) or direct IP connection, with no problems. They also had more intuitive menus for hosting a game, btw. And I don't know why we got that error message.

I see that many people have managed to play this game coop already. I know the master server is down, but I think that should not affect this, right?

Re: Tried to play with a friend, no luck

Hey,

You are probably referring to the id software master server, but we are running one on our own.
In order to host a game (without hamachi), start a dedicated server. If your server is behind a NAT (firewall/router/whatever you call it), make sure to forward port 27960 (or whatever port you configure when starting the server) to the ip of the computer that runs the server.

After a while the server should show up in the internet server list, or you can check it in your browser: http://master.rtcwcoop.com/

to join a dedicated master server that runs on your computer you might need to use the console to connect to it. Open the console (press shift-esc) and type: /connect 0.0.0.0

if that doesn't work, try /connect 127.0.0.1 or /connect <local ip of your computer>

about the resolution: The menu files aren't up to date for the latest resolutions, we haven't touched the source code of this mod in ages.

Hi, fretn, thanks for your response.

I was referring to your custom master server, I was under the impression that it was down around the time we tried to play.

We followed those steps and all we got was the persistent "Bad challenge" error. We will keep trying different combinations and report back here if we get it to work.

Thanks anyway!

Well, I am back, and I'm happy to say that we managed to play and finish the campaign. Sometimes we had to use the teleport key or vote for next map, but overall we had a good time.

So, after disabling the firewall, I created a dedicated server (on LAN), then opened another instance of the game and connected to it using 127.0.0.1 as the IP address. My friend used my Hamachi LAN IP. Everything went smooth.

We found that some scripts had been disabled, probably to prevent players from becoming stuck (like walls coming down and such). I think the difficulty has been increased compared to vanilla SP RTCW, enemies were harder to beat. Am I correct?

yes it's a bit more difficult, but you are not alone to play wink

Haha, you certainly don't know my friend... Sometimes I wonder if he's working for the enemy big_smile

Urjen wrote:

Haha, you certainly don't know my friend... Sometimes I wonder if he's working for the enemy big_smile

but still you can play on 2 good servers

http://master.rtcwcoop.com/

MiDu's RTCWCOOP # MiDu's RTCWCOOP #2

have all cusdom rtcw coop maps

Active staff Members

Midu RTCW COOP
Server Admin