Topic: coop with the classes from multiplayer

So as announced in https://www.rtcwcoop.com/forum/viewtopi … 3049#p3049 I have been working on implementing a new gametype for rtcwcoop where you can play with the for classes from the multiplayer part of the game

I will use this topic to post some information about my progress.

Currently the following things are implemented:

- new gametype: classes (this forces the usage of flagpoles as spawnpoints)
- the four known classes: soldier, medic, engineer, lieutenant
  * soldier is the only class that can use all the weapons, soldier can pick up all weapons but they don't have ammo, you need an LT for the ammopacks
  * engineer is the only one that can pickup dynamites, there are no pliers yet (I'm thinking if I will implement this feature or not)
  * medic can pickup medkits these boosts the medic chargetime, nobody else can pickup medkits, but they can pickup medpacks thrown by a medic, medic has a syringe and can revive you when you are wounded (like in multiplayer)
  * LT can pickup ammo, this boosts his chargetime, nobody else can pickup ammo. Everybody can pickup ammopacks thrown by an LT (like in multiplayer), smoke grenade + airstrike works, binoculars + artillery works too.
  * more medics means more health for everyone (like in multiplayer) and medics regenerate their health

- compass now shows objectives and spawnflags, and the engineer also can see where (s)he can find dynamite
- teamoverlay shows the class of your teammates like in MP, instead of the type of gun they have
- there is no limbo menu like in multiplayer but the ingame quickmenu (the menu that shows up when you press escape), has four buttons to switch class
- dynamites respawn (not the ones that you plant, but the ones that you have to pickup as an engineer), other items (ammo, weapons, healthpacks) don't
- weapon cycle is the same like in multiplayer (this only valid for the classes gametype)
- escape1 and tram have been modified a bit (by hardcoding some hacks in the code) which make you need an engineer + dynamite to advance
  * in escape1 the floor that needs to be shot can now only be destroyed by a dynamite
  * the second flagpole is moved to a secret area in escape1
  * in tram the hatch that needs to be shot to enter the tunnel can now only be destroyed by a dynamite

Things I still want to do before I push my code to the public repository and beta(alpha) testing can begin:

- modify more maps to add a need for an engineer
- probably add pliers so the dynamite has to be armed, but this means that the AI has to be updated so it can disarm it again
- figure out a way to have some buttons that are needed to start some game mechanics (eg: the lever to start the trams) damaged by default and they can only be fixed by an engineer his/her pliers, like the mg42 in multiplayer that can be damaged
- AI should try to shoot wounded players so they cannot be revived again

and probably more smile

Re: coop with the classes from multiplayer

This will REALLY benefit the cooperative aspect of RTCWCoop. Such a gametype will prove best for team play, forcing players to finally work together, needing one another to complete the missions. This is amazing news, truly. This new gametype should become the default one honestly.

Dark Matter Productions

This sounds amazing, although I have a few objections.
1. Everyone should be able to pick up ammo, but the amount would be very small. Of course, the Lieutenant's ammo bags would give more ammo. It's not realistic, but it wouldn't make the Lieutenant a must-have.
2. Same goes for medkits and the Medic.

To be honest, these problems of mine are personal, since I only have one friend to play co-op with.

fretn wrote:

So as announced in https://www.rtcwcoop.com/forum/viewtopi … 3049#p3049 I have been working on implementing a new gametype for rtcwcoop where you can play with the for classes from the multiplayer part of the game

* soldier is the only class that can use all the weapons, soldier can pick up all weapons but they don't have ammo, you need an LT for the ammopacks
  * engineer is the only one that can pickup dynamites, there are no pliers yet (I'm thinking if I will implement this feature or not)
  * medic can pickup medkits these boosts the medic chargetime, nobody else can pickup medkits, but they can pickup medpacks thrown by a medic, medic has a syringe and can revive you when you are wounded (like in multiplayer)
  * LT can pickup ammo, this boosts his chargetime, nobody else can pickup ammo. Everybody can pickup ammopacks thrown by an LT (like in multiplayer), smoke grenade + airstrike works, binoculars + artillery works too.
  * more medics means more health for everyone (like in multiplayer) and medics regenerate their health

- compass now shows objectives and spawnflags, and the engineer also can see where (s)he can find dynamite
- teamoverlay shows the class of your teammates like in MP, instead of the type of gun they have
- there is no limbo menu like in multiplayer but the ingame quickmenu (the menu that shows up when you press escape), has four buttons to switch class
- dynamites respawn (not the ones that you plant, but the ones that you have to pickup as an engineer), other items (ammo, weapons, healthpacks) don't
- weapon cycle is the same like in multiplayer (this only valid for the classes gametype)
- escape1 and tram have been modified a bit (by hardcoding some hacks in the code) which make you need an engineer + dynamite to advance
  * in escape1 the floor that needs to be shot can now only be destroyed by a dynamite
  * in tram the hatch that needs to be shot to enter the tunnel can now only be destroyed by a dynamite

Things I still want to do before I push my code to the public repository and beta(alpha) testing can begin:

- probably add pliers so the dynamite has to be armed, but this means that the AI has to be updated so it can disarm it again
- figure out a way to have some buttons that are needed to start some game mechanics (eg: the lever to start the trams) damaged by default and they can only be fixed by an engineer his/her pliers, like the mg42 in multiplayer that can be damaged

and probably more smile

is go take Like 1 Year  fretn finish all

this very big future Update

Midu RTCW COOP
Server Admin

KillerSlovakia wrote:
fretn wrote:

and probably more smile

is go take Like 1 Year  fretn finish all

this very big future Update

actually it didn't take me a long time to implement the list of feature I mentioned above

I plan to push my changes to the public repository soon

Vexus wrote:

1. Everyone should be able to pick up ammo, but the amount would be very small. Of course, the Lieutenant's ammo bags would give more ammo. It's not realistic, but it wouldn't make the Lieutenant a must-have.

To be honest, these problems of mine are personal, since I only have one friend to play co-op with.

if you only play with 2 people than this gametype is not useful.
Don't worry its optional, rtcwcoop stays as you know it, the class based gameplay will be a new feature that you'll have to enable

I have created a pull request on https://github.com/rtcwcoop/rtcwcoop

I haven't merged it yet, I first want to make sure I didn't break anything important, but those who are curious to try it out have now access to the classes source code

So for those who are interested in beta testing the gameplay, you can download a windows version here: http://www.rtcwcoop.com/beta/rtcwcoop_c … _win64.zip

If you need a linux or mac build let me know

I'm running a beta server on the domain fretn.be (normally it should be visible through the server browser, else just run /connect fretn.be in the console)

There are tons of things that need to be tested, there are probably a lot of bugs.
The first 4 maps require an engineer to be able to finish them, all other maps not (yet).

- soldiers can pickup all weapons and also use all weapons, but they need an LT for ammo
- only medic can pickup health items, but they can give med packs
- only LT's can pickup ammo, but they can give ammo packs
- only engineer can pickup and use a dynamite

Compass shows the location of the spawn flags, and engineers also see the location of the places that needs to be dynamited and they also see the location of the dynamite

The weapon cycle is the same as in multiplayer. LT has smoke grenade for airstrikes and binocs for artillery.

9 (edited by Vexus 2023-01-30 01:22:28)

fretn wrote:
Vexus wrote:

if you only play with 2 people than this gametype is not useful.
Don't worry its optional, rtcwcoop stays as you know it, the class based gameplay will be a new feature that you'll have to enable

Sorry for necroing, but I just tried out the mod and even though I start the server as "Cooperative", the classes work anyway. I don't think it's intentional?

10 (edited by ManiC 2023-01-29 09:15:08)

Classes is gametype 2 which used to be cooperative which is now 3 he should really have kept cooperative as 2 and introduced classes as 3 as cooperative is his flagship and more commonly known basically it now defaults to classes if you don’t change your gametype. Unless your on about in game setup then yeah that could be a bug.