Topic: bots

Hello,

The forum has been 'attacked' by a lot of bots lately, so sorry if you had troubles posting new topics or replies, I've been trying some stuff to stop the bots

Re: bots

Require email verification upon registration. If it wont help, add admin account verification and naturally disallow guests to post anywhere. All that captcha crap is just useless and most of it annoying..

email verification was always needed
I also required a 'answer' to the question field, the answer can be found on irc

and now there's a third code modification which may block them for a while

admin account verification is the last I want to do, at a certain moment there where 10 accounts / hour created, I really don't want to be spammed like that smile

Doubt you're going to get 10 accounts per hour rate at the moment. Maybe later but if bots prove to be a problem it may be easier to validate those few accounts once per day or when you're around then delete posts. I mean it's all about math when it comes to it, so go with what makes more sense to you.

Personally I just require email validation and a question with it that's obvious (What RTCW stands for) but doesn't have answer in question it self and works fine so far. I always lean towards making registration little more complicated (least possible) but leave rest open then as thru experience I learned that captcha or trick questions for posting, tend to drive ppl away.

Just last time for example I wanted to post something and couldn't figure out that irc question and didn't see it worth while figuring out, tho I mostly spam so wasn't really a loss. smile

nate wrote:

Doubt you're going to get 10 accounts per hour rate at the moment. Maybe later but if bots prove to be a problem it may be easier to validate those few accounts once per day or when you're around then delete posts. I mean it's all about math when it comes to it, so go with what makes more sense to you.

Personally I just require email validation and a question with it that's obvious (What RTCW stands for) but doesn't have answer in question it self and works fine so far. I always lean towards making registration little more complicated (least possible) but leave rest open then as thru experience I learned that captcha or trick questions for posting, tend to drive ppl away.

Just last time for example I wanted to post something and couldn't figure out that irc question and didn't see it worth while figuring out, tho I mostly spam so wasn't really a loss. smile

I enabled the admin verification thing, three days ago and I had 20 new account requests in 2 hours

about email validation and a question, this was always the case and since last week bots just started to be able to generate accounts