Topic: A thread for requesting new features

Hi. This thread did not exist, so I thought I could put it up so it would be easier for the devs if the requests would be on the same topic. I'll start with couple.

-Shove (don't know if this exists/is buggy/cvar/on todo list etc.) sometimes kinda annoying if someone is for some reason standing still and blocking the way)

-More ammo, maybe you could increase the amount in a weapon that an AI has dropped. Adding ammo in levels would be best but is time consuming. Constantly out of ammo on every weapon.

Re: A thread for requesting new features

{SSF}Sage wrote:

-Shove (don't know if this exists/is buggy/cvar/on todo list etc.) sometimes kinda annoying if someone is for some reason standing still and blocking the way)

This would be nice. :-D

{SSF}Sage wrote:

-More ammo, maybe you could increase the amount in a weapon that an AI has dropped. Adding ammo in levels would be best but is time consuming. Constantly out of ammo on every weapon.

I think, it would be better if this feature is included in a feature discussed elsewhere, where you have different classes of players, like in the classic multiplayer, but simplified. Maybe two or three classes, where a lieutenant can collect all the ammo, which lay around unused by other players, and give them back as ammo packs, and a medic can do the same with health packs.

3 (edited by nate 2012-10-14 11:16:33)

Wise thread. While generally we avoid adding new stuff in until we finish ones that are already in process or were planned earlier, but it's always nice to have a request list on a side for later on.

I agree that shove is kinda essential so I went along with it and added in. It should be available in next release, or if you are inpatient grab it from the source -> In that case, set server as unpure so other clients using official release can still connect and play.

FYI, I've hook it under "activate" button. Meaning, you use same key for pushing players away as you use for opening the doors as there's no point making a whole new key for it and forcing users to bind a new key for something like that...

As for more ammo. Fretn is currently working on a "buy" feature. Where players can buy more ammo, weapons..using points they've earned along the game. At the moment I'm not sure if this is whole new game type or will be available in all game types, but he can say more about it. smile

Okey perfect. That's how shove should work. Thanks!

Yeah I know you have hands full of things to do. I'd concentrate on fixing bugs and getting rid of crashes etc. if I was you. But I thought this would help you to keep on track of the suggestions for future. Some nice features might be forgotten if they were not in front of you.

Buying feature sounds interresting. Just has to be easily managed on the run. Like not overly complex pretty menus etc. Unless you are planning to do so while on main menu not playing. Then we would probably need online accounts for it. Like global xp save/guns stay with you in all servers etc. Plus a cvar to have a server without this feature. Well ok dunno how good this global is, might divide the community.

Fixing crashes and getting rid of bugs is exactly what we're doing, but it's sadly a delicate process that takes time. sad

XP alike system was already mention it in some other thread, so to avoid double posting, I suggest you read it there:
http://rtcwcoop.trak.be/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8 (Second post / First replay).

Cvar for "buy" feature/gametype, will naturally be present. As anything outside of default game style should have ability to be disabled, besides features that don't affect game - like blood hit, solid crosshairs but those are client depended anyway.

I totally agree on making everything new work with Cvar! smile

about the buy feature, its already in, its activated for the battle gametype only

everything you pickup gives you points, your damage that you do also scores you points. Buying ammo, weapons or health costs points.

The scoring system also works different in battle (compared to beta releases), there are three criteria: dmg given/done ratio, number of deaths and score. The player who scores highest in at least two of these wins the battle (round).
There are two ways to buy things, use the buy command: type /buy to see all the options, prices of guns and ammo or use the /quickbuy menu (ala voicechat) to buy things
The prices of everything need to be balanced, but this is only possible after some games, all this was coded in 2 evenings without a lot of testing, shame on me, but I didnt like the previous battle scoring system enough to have it in the public release

shove: I planned to add this a long time ago, but I never came around, I'm glad nate did it already ! smile

about the next release, I think to release shortly a 0.9.1 version, with some small bugfixes and small new features, to keep the flow of the game going, so people have new stuff to play with and dont get bored with the bugs. One of the things I'm currently working on are some fun statistics (ending scoreboard awards) for the coop gametype.

nate wrote:

Cvar for "buy" feature/gametype, will naturally be present.

fyi: its #ifdef'ed in the code with a #define MONEY and only works for GT_COOP_BATTLE

Well it doesn't have to have an explicit cvar, can even be controlled by gametype..as it's natural that some features will have to be different for specific gametype otherwise one is just loading bunch of prints and a default game..but since owners can simply switch to normal gametype like coop and run default, it means there's always an option and falls downs to owners as of how to set a server, which was what I was trying to say. smile

10 (edited by -SSF-Sage 2012-10-15 19:56:39)

In short I wish to see all files including files the game creates in one folder. Probably been under a lot of discussion on your end and might  change in a future version. Story behind this:

I took some screenshots and then I realised they were not there. After some thinking I remembered someone saying settings were stored in appdata under users. Well found the screenshots from there. I then realised it's because there is no installer for the mod. I hope this is going to change at some stage, or could there be a way for the game to create them in the same folder the exe is in. It's quite the clicks to go in the folder and might get noobs very confused. Also realising that it is a hidden folder by default.

Oh yeah also the name of the folder in appdata is Wolfenstein. Got me confused with the new wolf. big_smile

11 (edited by nate 2012-10-15 20:26:13)

It has nothing to do with installer or how game is distributed. It's a feature probably fretn mainly ported from I think ioquake. General idea of this specific approach is, so more users can play from same computer and they each have their own config which doesn't collides with another player's config - since it's safe to assume more users behind same computer uses different user accounts.

In theory this approach is quite valid, but in reality I do agree it can be and mostly is, too confusing for most of people. Personally I'm not fond of this approach either. I think it would make much more sense that this approach gets moved back in game folder and then there separates config per user basis. As in this case scenario, one that's familiar with Q3 engine games, can easily with some common sense figure out where stuff is, without going on a "search" crusade that is.

In any case, this is not on the priority list but it is subjected to change eventually.

Alright. smile Well I like the W-ET approach with having main/profiles/Nickname/*configs* and simply selecting a profile on the main menu. But still I don't think screenshots needs to be placed per profile.

{SSF}Sage wrote:

Alright. smile Well I like the W-ET approach with having main/profiles/Nickname/*configs* and simply selecting a profile on the main menu. But still I don't think screenshots needs to be placed per profile.

yes its a change I wanted to revert very shortly before first release, but I was afraid of breaking things, so I didnt do it.

I'll try to fix this for next release, at least for windows and osx, on linux this was alway like this

can you add a feature to enable cutscene?
I know it will be annoy and buggy, but I will take the risk smile

badboy_zay wrote:

can you add a feature to enable cutscene?
I know it will be annoy and buggy, but I will take the risk smile

no

I'd ask for a feature regarding AI respawn. This is only for devs. This would also stop respawning in wrong places and wrong times..

AI scripting command to disable respawn per AI.

How it should work? If g_airespawn = 1, then all bots respawn by default until set not to respawn. Then you can at a certain moment disable that on the bots you have passed already. And have a possibility to set it back to respawn would be nice too.  So for example when the player walks into a trigger, you could put into map.coop.ai the following command:

airespawn [targetname] [0/1]

eg.

player
{

//Player touches a trigger in the end of stage_1
trigger approaching_stage_2
{
airespawn nazi1 0
airespawn nazi2 0
}
}

What I am after is that you could "stage up" the maps. The bots would respawn until you've passed a certain spot, or finished a certain object. Like if you are in the stage1 in the map the bots of stage1 will keep respawning, once you get to stage2, the stage1 AI stops respawning.

How about new maps ?? if its possible.

Assassin wrote:

How about new maps ?? if its possible.

It's not a good idea to add new maps to the original Single-Player, it would most likely mess up the storyline. However, some of the single-player extensions are a good idea, such as Time Gate, which has already been suggested (...by me). However, right now the majority of bugs need to be fixed before adding new things.

Time Gate would be my choice too. It is a really nice and complete mapset.

I think after playing all the maps a few times (10-20 times) people will stop caring about the story line of the game

sage: sounds like a nice plan, I'll put it on my long todo list and see how hard it is to implement

21 (edited by nate 2012-11-05 13:21:24)

Default is always only an entry point, everything else then evolves depending of community.

To set the stage for new stuff we need to asap fix downloads and write a tutorial for how to convert existing SP map into COOP or alternatively, what needs to be done along at default SP map creation process to make it work with coop.

Once downloads are added and a demo map is set I'll write a tutorial about how to configure a server to run in particular configuration so it's easier for newcomers or ones that aren't in hosting or never where.

its not a request as its already built:

A version checker, so you don't have to watch the internet everyday to know if a new version is available !

the 0.9.2 version is still a lie, it will be released (I hope) after next weekend.

http://bzzwolfsp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/screenshots/rtcw_coop_versioncheck.jpg

Time Gate will be awesome since i tried it today and looks good.

who made this map ?

25 (edited by Assassin 2012-11-06 22:57:43)

fretn wrote:

who made this map ?

Priv and others see details in this link down...
Srr if i cant share links smile
Time Gate